Chapman Family

Reunion for the descents of
William John and Suzannah Miller CHAPMAN

held at Spring Hill,
22nd and 23rd March, 1986

By Bob Chapman and friends

Editors note. This computer document was created by scanning the original copy by my Uncle Bob and then adding to wordpress in a computer cafe. Many errors occurred in this process and a number of features were lost. The original document contained many interesting photos.  I do hope you enjoy this family history and please inform me of errors and new information.

Stephen Chapman was born in Sussex England in 1836. He lived with his parents Harriett and Robert at “Willensfield”, Suffield, Sussex. He sailed for Australia in 1854 on “Asiatic” and arrived in Sydney on the 23rd May, 1854. He was a farm labourer and paid for his passage and came alone.

After arriving in Australia he settled at Wilberforce (near Windsor). His occupation was a carrier (horse and dray). He stayed at Wilberforce until 1865. In 1864 he purchased ground at Spring Hill and moved to the district in 1865.

On the 5th April, 1858 he married Susannah Basham in St. James Church of England, Wilberforce. Susannah Basham’s brother, Arthur, was Harold and Arthur Roweth’s grandfather who build “Bellvue”.

Sussanah and Stephen had 5 children. When Sussanah died on 14th May, 1869 aged 28 years, she left 4 children under the age of 8 years. She was buried in the Orange Methodist Cemetery with her infant daughter Sarah.

The children of the marriage were:-

Eliza Matilda
born 1861
died 17.4.1928

Amelia Harriett
born 1863
died 29.1.1908

Born 1865
died 17.5.1930

George Stephen
born 1867
died 23.12.1911

born 1869
died at birth

Eliza Matilda married Willaim Kay (Willian died 16.5.1892 aged 39 years)

Children:    Ethel married G.B. Chapman no children
Jack married Nellie Davis
Ada married Stanley May
Elsie. Died at 18 years of age.
Eva married Claude Davis
William married Ada Baker no children

Amelia married John Ginns

Children:    Amy married Tom Moad
George married Amy Baker
Thersa married Henry Baker
Arthur married Marie Rusconi

Isabella did not marry

George Stephen (“Whiskers”) married Susannah Rebecca (“Suey”) Wass

Children:    Mabel did not marry
Sylvia did not marry
Merle married Bill le Page
Bertha married Charles Plummer

Stephen Chapman was married for a second time to Mary Poole Glasson. They were married in the Spring Terrace Methodist Church on the 26th November, 1874. Witnesses to the ceremony were Charles and Emily Glasson (bride’s brother and sister). Stephen and Mary had the first spring cart in the district and spent their honeymoon driving from Spring Terrace to Spring Hill.

Stephen died of pneumonia on the 27th July, 1882 at his home at Spring Hill. Aged 46 years, he left a wife and six children, the eldest being 26 years of age.

The children of the marriage were:

Born 1875
died at 12 months

Mary Anne Glasson
born 1877
died 30.4.1950

William John
born 6.1.1879
died 11.3.1950

Mary Anne (Annie) married Henry (“Harry”) Davis

Children:Stephen. Died at 12 months of age
Jessie married Arthur”Pud Dooley
Charlie married Bella. No children
Esther married Tom Uren
Stanley married Lila Doak
Elsie (“Brownie”) married Harold Roweth
Nellie married John Morrissey
Peggy married Pat Langham

William John Chapman married Suzannah Miller Chad

John Stephen (Jack)
born 18.4.1907
died 4.9.1907

Clarice Constance
born 3.7.1908
died 4.10.1978

Harry William
born 21.5.1910
died 11/1976

Ethel Mary (Ettie)
born 28.3.1912
died 6.1.1968

Dorothy Jean
born 17.5.1916
died 15.2.1982

Robert Noel
born 15.12.1917  {author of this history}

In 1885, Mary Poole Chapman purchased “Hillview”. Mary and her childran lived in a stone hut at “Edenglassie” until a house was build at “Hillview”. George Chapman, Mary’s stepson managed “Hillview”. In 1892, when William Kay died, George also managed “Edenglassie”. George lived with his stepmother until 1897 when he was married and build the second house at “Edenglassie” (Arthur Kay’s

About 1900, William John Chapman took over the management of “Hillview”. George managed “Edenglassie” until John Kay (Arthur Kay’s father) took over in 1907. George died in 1911. Mary and her stepdaughter Isabella, lived at “Hillview” until William John was married in 1906. They build a house in Spring Hill (Simpson’s house) and lived there until they both died in 1930.

William John Chapman married Suzannah Miller Chad in the Methodist Church, William Street, Sydney on the 6th June, 1906.

Their attendants were Elizabeth Chad (Bride’s sister), Lil Parr (bride’s cousin), Arthur Parr (bride’s cousin) and William Chad (bride’s brother).

Suzannah Miller Chad’s family:

Thomas Chad married Susan Hyde at Barraba near Taimvorth and they had 6 children:
Tom married Tillie

Children: Stella, Arthur, Sid, Nita and Elsie.

William married Mary

Children: Winnifred, Mac, Gladys, Lilla, Jessie and Maurice.

Walter married Hilda

Children: Hazel, Cecil and Ken.

Elizabeth married Will Shute

Children: Douglas, Ruth, Jean and Nellie.

Suzannah Miller married William John Chapman

Children: John, Clarice, Harry, Ethel, Dorothy and Robert.

Amelia married Charles Weaver

Children: Lyall, Nita, Walter and Hubert.

Suzannah Miller Chad was born at Barraba near Tamworth on the 27th June, 1883. She was the sixth child of Thomas and Susan Chad and had 4 brothers (1 died very early) and 2 sisters.

Suzannah lived with her family on a property out to the west of Barraba called Mt. Lindsay. Her father shepherded sheep for a living. Her parents died fairly young and close together. (aged 48 and 45 years).

Following the death of her parents, Suzannah at the age of 8 went to live with her elder brother Tom and his wife Matilda Cutmore.

She left school about 1897 and moved to Sydney and took up nursing. Her elder sister Elizabeth was matron of the Prince of Wales Hospital at Sydney and her younger sister Amelia had a nursing home at Tamworth.

The Cutmore family was related to the Kay family at Spring Hill and Suzannah while holidaying in Spring Hill with the Cutmores met W.J. Chapman.

Susannah’s younger sister Amelia married Charler Weaver and had four children.

The Weaver, Shute and Chapman families spent a lot of time together. Following the death of Amelia’s husband Charles Weaver, Auntie Millie cam to live at “Hillview” to look after W.J. in about 1940.

When Bob and Rene married, the house was divided into two flats. Auntie Millie stayed at “Hillview” (until ill health forced her to move back to Tamworth in about 1950). W.J. died in 1950. Ill health forced her to return to her family in Tamworth where she died in 1955.

Suzannah was a very kind hearted woman. She participated in all village activities especially the church. She was a Sunday School Teacher until the time of her death. Suzannah was a good worker for the Red Cross, Ladies Church Aid, School P & C Association.

She was a house proud woman and was an excellent cook and a keen gardener. The garden at “Hillview” thrived under her care and there were always fresh bowls of flowers throughout the home.

William John Chapman was a stately gentleman. He was involved in many different organisations in Spring Hill. He was a Church Steward for many years right up to the time he died in 1950. He was a Trustee of the Church, Parsonage, Recreation Ground and Cemetery. (His church played a prominent part in William’s life).

The family would attend church twice each Sunday. They went to Spring Hill Methodist Church in the afternoon and would usually have visitors for tea. It became the tradition to have a sing‑a‑long around the piano or organ in the afternoon before attending church again that evening. The family was a very close-­knit unit. They always worked together as a family unit. Suzannah was a firm woman. She sheltered her children especially the girls. Their father placed few restrictions on the children and they found him very easy.

Some funny habits W.J. had:

He would start off in the morning wearing three jumpers. As the day warmed up he would take them off and hang on the fence. He would forget to pick them up on the way home, and consequently next day had to find more jumpers.

He would peel a pear on the back veranda, only eat a small piece, but every time he passed the table would have another bite. When he sneezed he would be heard over at Kays. As the telephone was a party line, W.J. and Jack Kay would talk for at least an hour a night. Another peculiar habit was drinking boiling hot tea and eating icecream at the same time.


The original house at ‘Hillview’ was built in 1885. The four bedrooms are still the original. The plaster was made of pise. The homestead was extended in 1920. Rooms were altered at different times. In 1946 when papa, Auntie Amelia, Rene and I were there, the front verendah was closed in and was made into a bathroom and sun room, so papa had a bathroom, sunroom, kitchen and two bedrooms. Rene and I had three bedrooms, lounge, kitchen and bathroom. In 1953 the house was remodelled. The verandah was pulled down and the outside walls plastered. A sunroom was built on the n.e. corner, the lounge room was extended and a patio built, which was the main entrance, and the old pantry was made into a study.

Septic was laid on to the house in 1934, which I believe was the first septic system in the district. In 1948 electricity was switched onto the house and sheds. Before electricity we had a gloria light for the living area (petrol & air) and kerosene lamps for other rooms. The refrigerator was kerosene operated until electricity came. Irons were solid ones heated on a stove, then petrol and eventually electric. Water was heated by fountain and kettles on the stove and a chip heater for the bath.

Water for the house came from galvanised tanks at the house and garden. Farm water was by a hand pump at a well near the house until 1912 when a windmill was put onto the well near the road and water was pumped to an elevated tank between the house and sheds. In 1964 a bore was sunk near the road and an electric pump was put onto the bore which pumped water to the garden, troughs etc. In 1962 a 20,000 gallon tank was installed which caught all the rainwater from the house and sheds and was pumped to the house by an electric pressure system.

The blacksmith shed was built with round stringybark timber in the early 1900’s. The hayshed and stable (later the shearing shed) was built by Harry Davis in 1916. These sheds had oregon rafters and batons. Oregon was purchased for 15/‑ a hundred super feet. The hayshed was extended in 1958 to its present size.

During harvest time, we had to rise at 5am, get the horses into the stable to “feed and to harness them. We helped milk five or six cows and separate the milk. Breakfast was at 6am and we would be in the paddock to start work at 6.45am. Morning lunch at 9.15am, dinner at 12.30pm, afternoon tea at 3.30pm and me would knock off work at 6.30pm. We would then have to get the horses back to the stable, feed and unharness them and then help finish with the milking. Tea was when you had finished your jobs about 7.30pm. After tea we had to let the horses out of the stable into a paddock.

My mother used to feed all the farm hands. She used to bring our morning and afternoon teas to the paddock we were harvesting in, by horse and sulky. When we were working at ‘Pretty Plains’ she used to take our dinner over in the humpy and finish cooking it on a stove. One year there were eleven harvest men to feed.

Hillview’ ‑ purchase of proximity:

Hillview’ was originally 219 acres. In 1923 Pretty Plains was purchased from Tom and Charlie Taylor, 189 acres. In 1924 124 acres were purchased from Talley Taylor which made a total acreage of 532.

Bob is not sure of the price of the ground paid to Taylor but W.J. had the place mortgaged for a long time.

In 1966 ‘Allambie’ was purchased from Jack West. This property was two Soldier Settlers blocks after the First World War. The area of ‘Allambie’ was 148 acres and the price paid was $170 per acre.

Hillview’ had grown to 680 acres and as there were 12 acres of closed roads on the property, the total acreage of the property was 692 acres.

Most of ‘Hillview’ was sold in 1979. Beau Taylor purchased 62 acres, Dr. John Greer 280 acres, Oswald Knowles 149 acres and 189 acres was left in the family.

Some interesting happenings:

W.J. Chapman and all his family attended school at Spring Hill Public School. Those days there were no cars or buses for transport; we all used shanks’ pony. It was two miles from ‘Hillview’ to school and we had to attend every day, hail or shine. After our term at the Public School we all went to Orange. Clarice, Harry and Ett went to Orange High, Jean and Bob to Orange Rural School. We used to catch a train to Orange which left Spring Hill at 8am and arrived back at the Hill on the pea train about 4.30pm.

Clarice worked or stayed on the farm until she married.

Harry bought a farm in 1933. He worked at ‘Hillview’ prior to that.

Ettie worked in the store at Spring Hill. The store was owned in those days by H.H. May (Mollie Worboys’ father).

Jean did a couple of years nursing at Orange District Hospital.

Bob worked on the farm with his father. Bob was hoping to work in an office or bank, but as he left school at the height of the Depression in 1932, he had to take what job was available and that was on the farm. His wages were two pound per week and out of that he had to 10/‑ board.

Clarice Constance Chapman married Harold Edward Nicholls, son of Richard and Edith Nicholls at Spring Hill on 2nd February, 1931. They made their home on Fairview at Spring Terrace. The property was 205 acres and produced potatoes, wheat and oaten hay, peas, cattle and fat lambs until sold in 1973 when Clarice and Harry retired to 8 Benelong Place, Orange.

Clarice and Harry were both active members of the Spring Hill Methodist Church for many years, Clarice as organist and Harry as Sunday School Superintendent.

Five daughters were born to them each attending school at Spring Terrace and secondary school at Orange.

Nancy Joyce was born on 6th April, 1932 and she married Kevin Membrey on 5th September, 1953 and they lived in Dubbo. Kevin died 2 & a half years later. Their son Wesley Bruce was born on 6th July, 1954. Bruce attended primary School at Dubbo and then 4 years at Wolaroi College, Orange. After completing the H.S.C. at Dubbo he moved to Sydney where he studied for his Bachelor of Applied Science at the Institute of Technology. Bruce married Dianne Simpson of Dubbo on 18th January, 1975. Tristan Francis was born on 7th April, 1981 and Elissa Anne on 18th August, 1983. Tristan is the first of another generation of descendants which now total 5. Joyce moved to Gosford from Dubbo in 1973 and is currently living at Wyoming and is working as an assistant buyer at David Jones in Sydney. Bruce and Dianne are living at Maitland where Bruce is working as Senior Coal Preparation Technologist for Australian Coal Industry Research Laboratory.

Miriam Leone was born on 9th February, 1934. After leaving school at the age of 15 years Miriam worked on the home front helping both outdoors as well as in the home. During this time she attended dressmaking classes for 3 years at orange Technical College. Other hobbies and interests were the piano and tennis. She was also active in the Church and Sunday School at Spring Hill and Spring Terrace.

At 19 years of age, Miriam felt the need to pursue a career and after having passed the Nursers Entrance Examination she was accepted to train as a general nurse at the War Memorial Hospital at Waverley, commencing there on the 19th October, 1954. Miriam continued her training there for the required 4 years and graduated as a general trained nurse on 18th October, 1958. During these latter years of training, Miriam met her future husband Roderick McLean. They were married on 22nd November, 1958 at Spring Hill Methodist Church. They lived in Campbelltown and Miriam continued on in her nursing career and Rod was employed in motor spare parts industry. David Roderick was born on 8th May, 1962 and Susan Leonie was born on 30th March, 1964. The children attended Primary and Secondary School at Bradbury and Susan extending her studies for a further 12 months at M.L.C. at Burwood. David married Fiona Rutledge on 2nd 0ctober, 1982 and they have two sons, Jarrad David born on lst June, 1983 and Aaron James born on llth May, 1985. David works at McIntyres Flour mill at Hamilton and they live at East Maitland. David’s hobbies are tinkering with cars, shooting and scouting.

Susan works in the finance industry and has recently purchased a new home in Campbelltown South. Susan has a daughter Rowena Louise born on 22nd September, 1982. She enjoys squash in her leisure time.

Aileen Suzanne was born on 28th Juno, 1942. Most of her life has been employed in secretarial/telephonist positions except for 12 months as a Psychiatric Trainee Nurse in Sydney. She married Phillip Leslie Russell on 28th September, 1963 at Orange Methodist Church. Their children Wayne Anthony was born on 7th March, 1969 and Anita Jane was born on 11th November, 1971. Both attended Corrimal Primary School. In 1980 they moved to Rockhampton where the children attended Frenchville Primary School. Wayne is now attending the Gatton Agricultural College where he is doing an Animal Husbandry Certificate. Anita is still at High School. Aileen was divorced in June 1985 and now lives at Windsor, Brisbane.

Elizabeth (Beth) was born in Orange on l3th August, 1939. Lived at ‘Fairview’ and attended Spring Terrace School for 6 years and then Orange Rural School for 3 years. After leaving school Beth attended the Orange Technical College for a year to do a business course and then worked in an office in Orange.

She was a Sunday School Teacher, Youth Leader and attended the Orange Methodist Girls and Comrades.

While on a trip to New Zealand Beth met a tall, handsome West Australian, Ross Riches.

Prior to their wedding Beth spent 15 months working under the order of St. Stephen. This is an opportunity for one to work for the Church without remuneration. She was the first in N.S.W to work under this Order and was posted to the Dee Why Methodist Circuit and later Gordon.

Beth and Ross were married on 9th July, 1966 in Spring Hill Methodist Church. They made their home on an 8000 acre property in Watheroo W.A. distances were far greater, properties much bigger and the climate quite different to Orange so some adjustment was required!

On 19th January, 1968, Toni Elizabeth was born in Perth and David John arrived on 24th June, 1970.

Both has been the organist at the local Church since she arrived at Watheroo and is still interested in the Sunday School and Combined Ladies Guild.

Toni and David attended the Watheroo Primary School for 7 years, travelling on their round trip of 40 miles per day by school bus. At the end of their 7th year both received the Citizen of the Year Award, this was presented by their local member of Parliament. Toni attended M.L.C. in Perth for 5 years and did her Tertiary Admittance Exam in 1985. Toni played hockey and volley ball for her school.

David is at present at Wesley College in Perth and is in Year 10. David hopes to do an apprenticeship, possibly in mechanics. David is keen on football and water sports.

Audrey Lynette was born on 12th July, 1951. She married David John Eatell on 9th October, 1971 at Orange Methodist Church. Unfortunately, Audrey was a victim of a fatal car accident in August 1972. She and David left no children.

Clarice enjoyed her ‘retirement’ years until her sudden death on 4th October, 1978. She loved her garden, craft and embroidery hobbies but especially in visitation at Wontama Nursing Home. Harry still lives at 8 Benelong Place where his pride is his vegetable garden and his main interest and activities are within the Uniting Church and the Senior Citizens Club.

Harry William Chapman was born at Orange on 21st May, 1910. He lived at Hillview, Spring Hill. Harry was educated at Spring Hill Primary School and Orange High School where he obtained his Intermediate Certificate. He liked to play rugby league football, tennis and in later years bowls. He was keenly interested in the Methodist Church at Spring Hill. Transport was by pony and sulky or horse riding until he owned his first car in 1937. Harry was a farmer on his father’s property until he started out on his own and bought a farm at Lower Forest in 1934. In 1938 he bought ‘Harlindale’, Bowen Park where he was grazier with fat lambs and beef cattle. He sold ‘Harlindale’ in 1945 and bought Fernside in 1946. Grew fat lambs and beef cattle and certified seed potatoes. Later years he took pride in his Barry Angus Stud. On 30th May, 1936 married Linda Rebecca Worboys of ‘Wattle Grove’, Spring Hill. They had sons: Laurence Harry born on 13th March, 1939, Arthur David born on 18th September 1947 and Wallace John born on 27th March, 1950. He rejuvenated Fernside from a farmed out useless piece of country to a highly productive farm carrying 8 sheep to the acre. In 1961 he won the R.A.S of N.S.W Pasture and Fodder Competition at Zone Level. In 1962 he won the Rural Bank Fat Lamb Competition. He increased his rural area by purchasing ‘The Square’, 4 miles south of Blayney in 1968. Harry took an active part in A.P.P.U at Branch and State level. In 1963 he was President of the Blayney Rotary Club. His wife Lin became Charter President of Blayney Inner Wheel Club the same year and in 1985 she was presented with Honoured Life membership Award for active service at Club and District Level.

Harry, enlisted in the A.I.F. in 1942 when the Japanese came into Sydney Harbour in submarines. He left for New Guinea at the end of that year and came back to Australia early in 1944 and was discharged the same year. Harry died at Blayney on 23rd November, 1976.

Clarice and Harry Nicholls 2nd February, 1931.

Laurence Harry Chapman was born at Orange on 13th March, 1939. He did his Primary School education at Spring Hill, Barry and by correspondence. He attended Blayney Intermediate High and Wolaroi College in Orange. For three years after leaving school, he was occupied as a farmer on Fernside and he also learnt wool classing and shearing shed experting at Blayney and Bathurst Technical Colleges. In 1963 he attained his B.E. graduating in Mechanical Engineering Certificate at Orange Technical College, a Shot Firing Certificate and gained his private pilot’s license through the College and Orange Aero Club in 1983‑4. Laurence worked for 2 years at Email as Refrigeration Products Engineer, 2 years at the C.T.C.C. as Electrical and Mechanical Engineer, 10 years as a partner in a Consulting Engineers firm and since 1978 has been the proprietor of Clinton Industries Pty Ltd., specialising in all aspects of water supply. Laurence married Helen Elizabeth Matthews of Blayney in 1964. They have three children. Rhonda Lea. born 25th February, 1965, Karen Wendy born 15th march, 1968 and Adrian Dean born 5th October, 1971. Laurence has been a Rotarian since 1971 at both Club and District level.

Arthur David Chapman was born on 18th September, 1947 at Blayney. Arthur attended Barry Public School and Hurlstone Agriculture High School. In 1973 he graduated with majors in Botany and Chemistry from the University of New England and the James Cook University of North Queensland where he was awarded a BSc. He married Mary Ruth Long in Blayney on l4th February, 1970. He was divorced in 1980. In 1974 Arthur moved to Canberra and took up a position with the Australian Academy of Sciences. Transferred to the C.S.I.R.O. in 1976 and to the Bureau of Flora and Fauna in the Dept. of Science and the Environment in 1979. At present he is working in the Dept. of the Arts, Heritage and Environment on two large projects. This project entails the preparation of an index to Australian plants and the production of a 60 volume Flora of Australia, a series describing all of Australia’s plants. These projects took Arthur overseas in 1983 for 7 months to gather information and a later pleasure trip was made to India and Thailand. Arthur serves on several international committees dealing with the publication and authorship of plant names. He is interested in all sports including tennis and swimming. He is an official scorer for the A.C.T Cricket Association scoring for International matches, Prime Minister XI matches and some Sheffield Shield. He is on the Executive of the Queanbeyan District Club. He has interests in the History of Australian Botany and in the use of Australian native plants as horticultural subjects both in Australia and overseas. He has a garden of purely Australian Native Plants. He has two children: Michelle Marie born at Townsville on llth August, 1973 and Stephanie Rose born at Canberra on 9th November, 1975.

Wallace John Chapman born at Blayney on 27th March, 1950. He attended Barry Public School, Hurlstone Agricultural High School and the Universicty of New England where he graduated in Economics in 1974. His wife Lynne graduated in Economics in 1973 also at the University of New England. Wally started his farming career on Fernside which he sold in 1979 and he bought a property west of Guyra of 7000 acres. 3500 usable acres surrounded by natural hills on the picturesque property. He runs sheep and cattle mainly and still maintains the Barry Angus Stud. He sold the property called ‘The Square’ in 1978. Apart from farming both Wally and Lynne are interested in Scouts and Cubs, Wall a scout leader and Lynne a Cub leader.

Wall was a keen Apexian for several years. Both Wally & Lynne are interested in photography and in the publishing of the Guyra Shire Chronical which at the time they publish weekly. A successful project they started without finance and experience. Wally and family are all interested in tennis and they have their own tennis court. They have three children: Glen Anthony born in 23rd July, 1971, Ian Noel born 20th January, 1974 and Kathy Joy born on 26 th October 1979.

I, Norman Floyd, joined the Chapman family on the last day of 1935, when Ethel Mary Chapman and I were married in that dear little stone Church on the hill. Perhaps my most vivid memory of that time was setting out in a sturdy Austin tourer, sturdy enough to tow a miscellaneous collection of tin cans, bells etc. Or perhaps it was the raucous cacophony of locomotive whistles as our train pulled into Bathurst at midnight and we were a little disappointed to realise they were greeting 1936 and not us. Or maybe it was that we were so readily recognised and received as a honeymoon couple when we arrived at the Peoples’ Palace. That could have been attributed to the heaps of confetti on the vestibule carpet from our umbrellas and other parts of our luggage.

Our first home was a country cottage, long disused and without mod cons, situated two miles from the small school at Gospers’ Downs, or from the rail siding at Jerrabung, or frcm Red Hill Hall, or from the Post Office called Meranburn.

We then moved into our first school residence at Pinecliff, leaving behind a well stocked vegetable garden and several large heaps of firewood that I had prepared for use in the open fire or dover stove. At Pinecliff I supplemented my income by obtaining a permit to destroy possums which annoyed us by cavorting with their noisy chatter on the roof before descending in dozens on the garden. There too, Bob on the 21st October, 1936 and Allen on the 15th September, 1940, joined or began our family.

Then, during war years we moved to metropolitan schools. First Canterbury where we were often visited by army personnel, notably H.W. and R.N. Chapman. For convenience and safety, we had to leave some furniture in the country and garage our car for some time at ‘Hillview’, feeling pleased and important to tell folk we had property all over N.S.W!

Ted joined us on the 18th August, 1946 before we moved north to Tamworth and then to Glen Innes where I first had the opportunity of teaching one of my family. I’m not sure whether I was completely pleased about that. The first thing Allen noticed in the main street was a fish and ships shop owned by a character named Jack Floyd. When the Methodist Minister inquired of the infants about their parents, Allen indicated the extent of his family loyalty by saying, “I have two fathers. One is a school teacher and the other keeps a fish and chips shop!”

At Glen our family gained more balance with Robyn’s arrival on the 5th August, 1949.

Four years at Red Range as headmaster for the first time and then on to North Junee for the happiest eleven years of my career. The family growing up, Bob entered the ministry; Allen joined the Rural Bank and Ted attended Yanco Ag. High then University to subsequently join the Soil Conservation Service at Wagga.

My last appointment was to ‘The Oaks’, where after a year, I was retired for health reasons to Gosford in 1965. For just over two years, Ethel Mary conducted a Rawleigh agency and then literally returned home. Holidaying in Spring Hill she became ill and passed away in Blayney Hospital in January 1968.

Since then I have expanded my geographical knowledge, visiting my family and accompanying them on holiday trips.

Robyn completed university with an Arts degree and is now English Mistress at Auburn Girls High. She resides in a spacious oldstyle home at Mt. Druitt. I enjoyed a motoring tour with her to Tasmania in 1971.

Ted lives at Rozelle and is currently doing research in alternate fuels at the Univerity of N.S.W. I have a fair chance of seeing him at least on my birthday or father’s day.

I have visited Bob, Mavis and family, now comprising David and Tony (both Quensland born) 25th December, 1966 and llth April, 1968 respectively and Jennifer a Windsor product of 18th January, 1972; at Albury, Tweed Heads, Glebe, Windsor, Dulwich Hill, Leeton and now Jarrett Street, Wyoming where thankfully Bob is now recovering after a long illness. I also accompanied them on a memorable tour of New Zealand.

I have followed Allen and Jean where a successful banking career has led them. To Leeton, Dareton, (where my Victorian grandson, Peter joined them on the 9th March, 1968; Newcastle (Karen’s birthplace on the 11th April, 1970); Wellington, Lithgow, Gosford, Mullumbimby, Bowral and now Queanbeyan, where at the last three, Allen as Manager has ensured that “The State Bank does more for you personally”. In 1975 we enjoyed together a tremendous safari trip to Darwin, the Kimberleys and Central Australia.

Who knows? It might still be possible to follow Ted and his family some place!

Dorothy Jean Chapman was born in Orange on 17th May, 1916. She was educated at Spring Hill Public School and Orange Rural School.

on leaving school in 1930 she did domestic duties and did some nursing at Orange District Hospital. Jean wanted to continue studies at Sydney but the opportunities were not available for her to do so. Women were not encouraged to work after they were married. They were usually made to stay home to help with domestic duties when they left school. The Chapman family were only slightly restricted compared to many families in the district.

In 1939 Jean met Graham Harlington May and they were married in the Spring Hill Methodist Church on llth November, 1939. With War beginning and Robert joining the Army, Jean married after a six week engagement so that her young brother could participate in the ceremny. This astounded her mother who said that everyone in the village would be marking the calenders!

Jean and Graham lived at “Mayville” all their married life.

Jean was involved in many charitable organizations. She was an active member of the Forest Reefs Public School for over 20 years, holding various positions such as President, Secretary and Treasurer and upon her death was a Patron of the Forest Reefs Public School.

In 1949‑50 Jean joined the Millthorpe C.W.A., the start of a long association with an organization for which she worked tirelessly. In 1965 she was elected Secretary and in 1969 she accepted the President’s position. Her interest in and devotion to the C.W.A. led her further afield. She was Secretary of the Central West Group during the sixties. Cultural Officer and Vice‑President were the other positions she held at Group level. During the 70’s Jean was again Branch President and she was awarded a long service bar for her devoted service to the Branch.

Jean was also a very active and enthusiastic member of the Far West Scheme, having been President of the Millthorpe Branch. She was at the time of her death the Patron of the local charity.

Throughout her life Jean also found time to be associated with the Methodist Churches at Spring Hill and Forest Reefs.

Jean made use of her artistic ability in later life by taking up painting and china painting.

Geoffrey Graham was born at Orange on 8th January, 1941. Geoff attended the Forest Reefs School to 5th class and then to Tallwod for 6th class. He did 3 years secondary schooling at Orange Rural School. After leaving school, Geoff helped his dad on the family property where they had potatoes, sheep, cattle, crops and sometimes peas. Geoff was a keen gardener and always kept the household in vegetables. He also had chooks. Geoff holds the world record for the first potato walk, 9/10th mile in 9 minutes, 40 seconds, carrying a bag of potatoes. In his spare time, Geoff enjoyed his rock music especially Buddy holly. Geoff is very interested in thoroughbred horses and has some of his own. At present he has his own land and grows vegetables e.g. peas, potatoes, beans, pumpkin, zucchini and garlic. On 24th January, 1966 Geoff married Patricia Moya Middleton at the Catholic Church in Orange. They have 5 children; Angela Therese born 20th September, 1966, Brenden Geoffrey born 9th June, 1970, Justin Damien born 19th June, 1972, Deon Timothy born 24th November, 1974, and Damon Christopher born 19th July, 1977. The boys are of a great help to their father, but love time off for their sports. Angela works at Grace Bros. Orange.

Reginald William was born at Orange on 12th May, 1943. Reg began his school days at Forest Reefs. He attended the Orange Rural School where he reached Intermediate standard. Reg has been a keen Rugby League fan. After leaving school he played with Emco under 18’s. He also played football with Emco and Ex­Sevices First Grade, 200 games. While at school he played Western Divisions 7‑7’s and won the Western Division open football. When Reg left school he helped on the farm and afterward bought his own block and farmed it. At the Blayney Methodist Church on 28th August, 1977 Reg married Valerie Ruth Cowan. They have two children : Michelle Jean born 29th April, 1982 and Shaun Reginald born 6th November, 1983.

Trevor John was born on 19th May, 1948. Trevor began his school days at the Forest Reefs Public School. He spent 6th class at Orange Rural School and completed the Leaving Certificate at Orange High School. Trevor left high school and went on to Hawkesbury Agricultural College where he attained his Diploma in Agriculture. His first assignment to the workforce was to Leeton 1969, 9 months at Trangie, 5 years at Wagga College, 3 months at Orange and in April 1975 he was transferred to Glen Innes. In 1985 back to Yass with the N.S.W. Department of Ag. as District Sheep and Wool Advisor. Trevor studied and achieved through the Riverina College of Advanced Education, his Batchelor of Business Degree (correspondence course) in 1983. Rugby Union is one of Trevor’s best achievements in the sporting field. He played until 1983. He represented 2 zones and was captain of his teams. He also has interests in tennis, swimming and athletics. Trevor married Susan Mary Flinn at the Catholic Church, The Rock on 19th February, 1973. They have three children; Andrew Richard born 1st February, 1973, Mark David 13th March, 1975 and Sarah Michelle born 17th January, 1979. At present Trevor and Sue are living at Yass. The children went to school at St. Josephs, Glenn Innes. Sarah and Mark attend Yass Primary School and Andrew travels by bus to Darmarlan College, Canberra. Trevor encourages his boys and little daughter with their sporting interests.

Rodney Kevin was born at Orange on 22nd June, 1954. Rodney went to school at Forest Reefs and then attended Canobolas High School where he completed his secondary schooling at the end of the fourth form. Rod then completed a course in Agriculture at Yanco College.

At school and after Rod was a keen sportsman. He played soccer for Police Boys Club Orange, East Orange and Blayney and at 16 years of age took part in the State trials. He was also a competent runner. At 18 years of age, Rod joined Blayney Rotaract Club where he spent lots of valuable time traveling and generally enjoying the activities. During this time he spent time in responsible positions eg. Vice President, Treasurer, President and Community Service. Ballroom dancing was one of Rodney’s special achievements. He attended the Brower School of Dance while a very young boy and at 12 years of age he and his mum along with other members of the school toured the Snowy Mountains. He received many awards for dancing. Rodney now has the family property as his own and spends his time maintaining it to make a living as his parents did before him. He has sheep, cattle and crops and still likes to carry on the family tradition by using the binder to cut the hay for stooks. On 11th February, 1978 Rod married Margaret Joy Parish at the Methodist Church Orange. They have one daughter Katrina Anne Jean born at Orange on 9th April, 1982. Katrina is the apple of her dad’s eye and where dad is, so is his precious little daughter.

I went to the Public School at Spring Hill and then to the Rural School in Orange. I left school in 1932 and worked on the farm.

I joined the Millthorpe Troop of the 6th Light Horse Regiment in 1936. 1 had two camps at Parkes, one at Blayney and one at Orange.

In January 1938 the Light Horse Regiments went to Sydney to help celebrate the Sesqui‑centenary (150 years). We trucked our horses down on the train to Darling Harbour and from there we rode to our camp at the old Randwick Rifle Range. We rode all over Sydney, had parades down Pitt and George Streets and put on a big show at the Showground. On the Saturday night, there was 11 inches of rain and we got flooded out. The next morning we received our first rum issue. We were moved up to barracks on higher ground and received dry blankets etc. On Monday we rode our horses to Cronulla to participate in the making of the film “Forty Thousand Horsemen”. We stayed in the ballroom of the Cecil Hotel. Next morning reveille was at 1.30am. We had breakfast, saddled up and rode out to Kurnell sandhills as we had to make a charge across sandhills at day break. It rained and rained and the movie camera did not arrive until 8am as they reckoned it was too wet. After galloping up and down the sandhills for a couple of hours, we went back to the Hotel, picked up our gear, rode back to Randwick and then to Darling Harbour and en‑trained our horses. The money we received as ‘film stars’ was a free ticket to the picture show to the value of sixpence. At any rate the show was not worth viewing!

One month after second World War started the 6th Light Horse Regiment had a months camp at Orange Showground. The Troopers used to bath at the Hotel Canobolas, which had just opened. The 6th Light Horse Regiment with other Regiments in the State did a three months camp at Wallgrove , started end of January 1940 and finished end of April.

While we were camped at Wallgrove most of the Light Horsemen joined the A.I.F. Bill Shields, Eric Kay, Russell Willis and myself joined at the same time.

We were called up on the 18th July, 1940. We had a six month camp at the Sydney Showground and then to Cowra where Bill Shields and myself embarked for the Middle East on 3rd September, 1941. We sailed on the “Queen Mary” which was carrying over 5000 troops. We were reinforcements for the 6th Division.

After a few months together in Palestine, Bill was moved in the 2/2nd Artillery. I was with the 6th Division for a while and we moved to Syria. I took ill and had to go to Hospital. While in hospital the 6th Division was recalled back to Australia. When I was discharged from hospital I was moved to 9th Division Cavalry Regiment. After a period in Palestine the 9th Division was rushed to  the African Desert to try to stop Rommell. It was after several weeks of sparring around the desert we dug in at El‑Alamein and that was where the famous Alamein Battle was fought on 20th October, 1942. After chasing the Dagoes and Huns a few hundred miles back, in December we were called out of the front line and sent back to Palestine to pack up and return to Australia as the Nips were getting close to Aussie. The 9th Division arrived back in Australia in March 1943. We came back on the ‘Queen Mary’ but on this trip there were 11,500 troops on board. Also in convoy were the ‘Queen Elizabeth’, ‘Mauritania’, Acquatina’, ‘Queen of Bermuda’ and ‘Ile‑de France’. It took the convoy    from Sydney to Suez 20 days but coming home it took 39 days because we
were chased by Jap planes and subs.

After disembarkation and leave, the Divvie was moved to Kairi on the Atherton Tablelands where we had to learn jungle warfare. When the 9th Divvie was moving to New Guinea I was ruled Class B after a medical examination, which meant I had to stay in Australia. I then applied for a discharge which finally came through on 13th December, 1944.

I returned to ‘Hillview’ after discharge and it was then I started courting Irene Marjorie Neil. On the 2nd March, 1946 we were married at St. Marks Anglican Church at Millthorpe. As Dad and Auntie Millie were living at ‘Hillview’, we turned the homestead into two flats.

Our first daughter Jennifer Anne was born on 28th January, 1947. Desmond John on 21st April, 1949, Robert Bruce was born on 8th April, 1952 and Julie Suzannah born on 8th April, 1958. All our children attended Spring Hill Public School. Jennifer, Desmond and Bruce went to Orange High School and Julie to Canobolas High School.

I have been associated with many organizations in Spring Hill and Milthorpe. I was a member of the Spring Hill P & C while our children were attending that school. Have been a trustee of the Methodist Church, Temperance Hall, Recreation Gound and Cemetery for 30 odd years. I have been involved with the Millthorp Bush Fire Brigade for 40 years. I joined the Masonic Lodge at Millthorp in 1952 and became Master of the Lodge in 1959 and again in 1975. I am the Director of Ceremonies at present.

I joined the Millthorpe Bowling Club in 1954 and I have held all positions on Board; President for three years, Secretary for 5 years and at present I am Patron of the Club.

Four years ago I joined Legacy and at present I am Chairman of Blayney Division of Orange Leqacy.

Rene and I retired in 1979 and we are living at Carcoar Street, Spring Hill.

Irene Marjorie Neil:
I was born at Carcoar District Hospital on 22nd July, 1922. I was the third child of Herbert Horace and Marjorie Neil. I have two brothers and six sisters who are all living. My father died in 1950. My mother is living at a Nursing Home in Bathurst.

My family lived at Burnt Yards, Orange and Millthorpe. I attended Millthorp Public School. I left school in 1935 and worked in Amos’ Store at Millthorpe until war broke out in 1939. I tried to enlist in the Women’s Army, but my father refused to sign the enlistment papers. I then joined the staff of the Railway Refreshment Rooms and I was stationed at orange, Penrith, Gosford and Bathurst. Our main work in the R.R.R. was serving the troop trains.

I am actively involved in the C.W.A., Uniting Women’s Fellowship and the Millthorpe Bowling Club.

Jennifer Anne:
Jenny after matriculating at Orange High School went to Sydney University to study Veterinary Science. She graduated as a Bachelor of Veterinary Science in January 1969. After working for a few months as a tutor at Sydney University, she went to Bunbury W.A. to work in private practice. Then followed an interesting 12 months working in Darwin in a small animal practice. Jenny then moved to Port Lincoln in S.A. and is still working in a mixed practice on the Eyre Peninsula. Jenny married Glynn Chillingworth at the Spring Hill Uniting Church on 29th October, 1977. Jenny is actively involved in many organisations. She is a member of the Penguin Club, a member of the Board of the Arts Council of S.A. and is also involved with the Business and Professional women’s organisations as a local member and the S.A. Division President, member of the Federal Council and Convenor of a Federal sub‑committee looking at the status of women in agriculture.

Desmond John:
Des attended school at Spring Hill and then at Orange High School. He played cricket with Spring Hill while at High School. It was a very good team with players such as Harold Nicholls, Alan Moad and Gainsford Bros. Des left school after gaining his School Certificate and went to Yanco Ag. College where he received a certificate in Agriculture. He came home after Yanco but spent 3 months working in West Australia and 2 years in National Service. He married Jenny Williains in Orange on 25th September, 1971 and lived in flats in Orange before building at ‘Kieinde’. They moved into their home in April 1975. The building is on the land purchased from Jack West. Des and Jenny have two children Lisa Jane born 3rd May, 1975 and Paul Mathew born 29th February, 1978. They moved to Coffs Harbour in September 1979 after the sale of the farm. While in Coffs he was a salesman for an aluminium Window Manufacturer before involved with home building. Before leaving the area, he was in partnership with a kitchen cupboard manufacturer. Des and Jenny returned to Orange in July, 1984 and purchased the business, Bradeau and Hardies Paper Aids. They amalgamated the two into Bradeau School Supplies and are busy developing business into a unique store serving all of Western N.S.W.

Robert    Bruce:
After obtaining the School Certificate from Orange High School Bruce started a carpentry and joinery apprenticeship with Kell & Rigby Builders in Orange. During this time he attended Orange Technical College and obtained a carpentry and Joinery Certificate and then a Clerk of Works Certificate. In 1976 Bruce and another carpenter left and started their own building firm trading as Thomson & Chapman.

Bruce played Rugby Union with Blayney, cricket with Spring Hill and played tennis in the local competition. He was a Charter member of the Orange Rotoract Club where he met Judy Clarke. They were married at Forbes in 1973. They have three children; Scott Angus born 18th June, 1976, Sally Louise, born 24th March 1978 and Luke Robert born 26th August, 1980. In 1978 Bruce joined masonary in Orange and was Master in the Lodge 1984‑85. After the farm was sold in 1979, Bruce retained 150 acres of Pretty Plains where he runs sheep
and cattle in conjunction with his father and sister Jenny who has 35 acres at Pretty Plains.

Julie Suzannah
After attending Spring Hill Public School, Julie completed her Higher School at Canobolas High School in 1975. She went to Mitchell College in Bathurst where she obtained a Diploma in Teaching. Her first posting was at Glenroi Heights primary School, but she resigned in August 1980 and moved to Mackay Queensland. A teaching position at the Endeavor Foundation School became available and she taught young mentally and physically handicapped children, until the birth  of her first child in November 1983.

On 3rd July, 1982 she married Doug Campbell (also from the Orange area) and they bought a 5 acre market garden 70km south of Mackay. Vegetables are grown in winter months and Doug works on the sugar cane harvesting. Julie has not returned to teaching as her 2 year old and 4 month old boys keep her very busy!

2 responses to “Chapman Family

  1. Dear Bob , Thank you for such a wonderful piece of Genealogy

  2. Enjoyed reading your story. My family lived in the same area at Cockatoo Flats and my great grandmother buried in Milthorpe. It was interesting to read about the region as I had little information. My family were Heffernan and Andersons.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s